newbie installation fails

I have just installed RedHat 7.1 with the following RPMs:

openldap-2.0.7-14
openldap-servers-2.0.7-14
openldap-clients-2.0.7-14
openldap-devel-2.0.7-14
openldap12-1.2.11-4

I am trying to get it working with the instructions from Quick Start Guide but
with little success.

I thre away the Redhat's default /etc/openldap/slapd.conf and replaced it with
the one from the Guide:

--snip--
database        ldbm
suffix          "dc=test,dc=dom"
rootdn          "cn=admin,dc=test,dc=dom"
rootpw          secret
directory       /var/lib/ldap
--snip--

After that I tried to start the ldap server with `/etc/rc.d/init.d/ldap start`
but that did not succeed:

[root@jolo /root]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/ldap start
Starting slapd: No objectClass "top" defined in schema
[FAILED]

What's wrong? Is there somekind of default setup with the RedHat RPM's that I
should be  aware about?

Regards,
Peter