Re: Internationalization

The gecos field is defined in nis.schema with syntax:

 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.26

That's cute! But what does it mean?

I don't know where "1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.26" is formally defined, but in RFC2252 it is referred to as "IA5 String".

I don't know where "IA5" is formally defined, but I think I have caught on that it's another name for "plain ASCII".

"Plain ASCII" that means that you cannot put Turkish (or French or practically anything other than plain English) in the gecos field. UTF-8 encodes your Turkish special characters as sequences of non-ASCII bytes (0x80-0xFF).

--Le vendredi 4 mai 2001 21:36 +0300 tufan@itu.edu.tr disait:

OK . I got the idea and now I can add records using UTF-8 encoding. But I
got error when I try to add (or modify) gecos field with turkish chars (
converted to utf8). But when I use the same string at cn field I don't get
an error. Can't I use turkish chars at gecos field ?? Any idea?
 On Tue, 1 May 2001, Kurt D. Zeilenga
wrote:

At 07:12 AM 5/1/01, =?ISO-8859-9?Q?=DEeref_Tufan_=DEen?= wrote:
> Hi,
> I am having trouble with adding records to ldap database when records
> have  turkish character.

LDAPv3 internationalization is provide via UTF-8 encoded Unicode.
Transliterate between this and whatever local character set/encoding
you are using is an exercise for the application.

Kurt

-- ?eref Tufan ?en ITU BIDB Sistem Destek Grubu

--- David Olivier