indexing custom attributes

I have customized my 2.0.7 directory (running on Solaris 8) with an
objectclass that is a simple name/value pair. I don't seem to be able to get
searches on the name to work. It occurred to me that the name needed to be
indexed, so I added this to my slapd.conf
  index   ebtprefname

When I start slapd, however, I get the following error

/usr/openldap/etc/openldap/slapd.conf: line 49: equality index of attribute
"ebtprefname" disallowed

I get the same error when I try to run slapindex. The definition of the
attribute is as follows:

attributetype ( 5465.1
	NAME 'ebtprefname'
      EQUALITY caseIgnoreMatch
	DESC 'eBT Preference name'
	SYNTAX  1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.15 )

I suspect that I have some screw up in the schema definition that the
indexer doesn't like? Any clues would be appreciated, or pointers to the
relevant place in the doc or list archives (I have been searching, but
haven't found anything yet....)

I copied the SYNTAX from examples in the etc/openldap/schema directory that
had caseIgnoreMatch attributes. The OID is the number I got from IANA (5465)
plus a suffix, but looking at other OIDs it looks like maybe I didn't get
the exact info I needed from IANA, or am not understanding how to use
it....don't know if that would affect indexing or not.

Thanks in advance.

- DAP

David Parker - eBT International - (401) 752-4497

"If we become too serious we will lose our way."
                                         - Shunryu Suzuki