Problem with OpenLDAP, TLS and pam_ldap

Hello,

    I'm having a problem with one of my servers...  I've installed
pam_ldap using TLS on a few servers, including my working slave ldap
server (using tls as well for replication)....

When I installed it on my master ldap server, and tried to log in with
ssh, I got this error in my syslog:

pam_ldap: ldap_start_tls_s Encoding error

I recompiled and reinstalled OpenLDAP from ports (I'm running FreeBSD
4.2), and recompiled and reinstalled pam_ldap, with no change in
behavior...

This doesn't happen on any other servers, with very similar
configurations:
All the same version of FreeBSD, one of them even running slapd (the
slave ldap server), identical ldap.conf configuration files, etc..)

I'm a little baffled, does anyone know how this could be resolved???

Thanks,

Eric Parusel
Systems Administrator