Re: inappropriateAuthentication vs. invalidCredentials

> Can anyone tell me the difference between these errors?
>
>  inappropriateAuthentication  (48),
>  invalidCredentials           (49),
>
> I can't see a pattern regarding which one I get when.

They are very similar error messages. If you look through the code in the
section that pertains to your authentication method, you can look for the
macros like LDAP_INAPPROPRIATE_AUTH.  For example, in SASL:

LDAP_INAPPROPRIATE_AUTH
  malformed DN given with -X
  requested encryption style is too weak
  asking to SASL authz to a DN to which you're no allowed
  asking to SASL authz to a DN which is not on the server

LDAP_INVALID_CREDENTIALS
  missing or malformed credentials

  Mark Adamson
  Carnegie Mellon