Re: Cannot login with pam_ldap

On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 06:21:59PM +0200,
 Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@netaktiv.com> wrote
 a message of 37 lines which said:

> Apr 12 19:30:41 progress login[1149]: pam_ldap: error trying to bind as user "cn=Vladimir Toto,ou=People,dc=netaktiv,dc=com" (Invalid credentials)
>
> I understand that "Invalid credentials" means a wrong password but it
> works with ldapsearch:

Yes, because pam_ldap was able to authentify but pam_unix (which is
still required) tried to bind to the LDAP server. The missing option
was, in /etc/pam.d/XXX :

                                   vvvvvvvvvvvvvv
auth       required   pam_unix.so  try_first_pass

to tell pam_unix to use the above password.

I learned some things about the way LDAP works :-)