lutil_passwd in liblutil

Hi, newbie question here.

I'm using v1.2.9-5 with RH6.2 and trying to figure out how to best
authenticate using  hashed passwords.  I found the lutil_passwd function in
liblutil and it seems to do what I want.  The problem or question is that
the liblutil.a and liblutil.so libraries don't get installed when  you
install either openldap or openldap-devel from RedHat.  They also don't get
installed from a "make install" on v1.2.10 which was downloaded from
OpenLDAP.org.

So I'm questioning whether I should use lutil_passwd for my authentication.
Any help would be appreciated???

Dave Nelson
APEX Voice Communications