ldif file and base64 encoed userpassword

Hi,

I now know that ldapsearch shows the userpassword base64 encoded, but also the slapdcat command does this. So I wonder:
when I do a ldap dump using slapdcat, and the reinitialize ldap with this ldif file, would the userpassword in ldap then be base64 encoded?
I ask this because many tools use the value of userpassword to see if the entered password is correct, so I assume that if I use the C-code API,
the userpassword is not shown base64 encoded, but as the value eg "{crypt}XXXX". Is this assumption correct?
But I don't know what the value of userpassword is if the ldif file has this already base64 encoded. Can anybody shed any light on this?
I found a thread on this mailing list concerning the same, but the answer was not clear to me.

With friendly regards,

Franky