Re: ldapsearch 2.0.7 _way_ slower than 1.2.11...help?

%% "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@OpenLDAP.org> writes:

Thanks for the response!

  >> Sorry for the repeat; I got no response to my first request so I wanted
  >> to make sure it got through to the list.

  kdz> If you got your copy and it's in the archives, you can assume everyone
  kdz> else has it, too.

I had some problems due to the annoying subscription policies on the
lists, combined with the annoying email policies at work.

I'm still getting two of every mail; I guess my unsubscribe request
hasn't been approved yet :-/.

  >> Should I send this to openldap-devel as well/instead?  Thanks!

  kdz> no.  This is the appropriate forum for asking use questions.
  kdz> If you don't get an answer after a few days, try rewording
  kdz> your message and providing additional details.

I provided every detail I could think of; I always do: version numbers
of client and server, configuration/build details, exact commands I
entered and exact results I received.  If there was anything I left out,
please let me know.

Although I did post again, and you're right, that seems to have worked ;).

  >> Our company is using Critical Path ("Live Content Directory"), formerly
  >> known as ICL i500, LDAP servers running on Solaris.

  kdz> Lots of folks might have stopped reading at this point.

That's a shame.  The subject _clearly_ showed that the question was
relating to OpenLDAP.  I suppose I should have put the pertinent details
at the end, to make sure everyone read the whole thing? ;)

  >> I have both OpenLDAP 1.2.11 and 2.0.7

  kdz> Note that OpenLDAP 1.x support LDAPv2+ and OpenLDAP 2.x
  kdz> supports LDAPv3.  Unless you provide DIFFERENT options to
  kdz> each, they will not behave in the same manner.

Ah!  Good to know.  The question is, obviously, _what_ are the
differences.

  kdz> In particular, by default, 2.x clients will attempt to use SASL
  kdz> authentication unless disabled.  This could easily account for
  kdz> the delay.

OK, that's good info, thanks.

I tried using the -x option (ldapsearch man page says this disables
SASL) and the -P 2 option to set the protocol to 2.

Unfortunately, this doesn't appear to affect the time in any way at all.
Something is better today than before, since most of my 2.0.7 queries
are now taking 4-5 seconds to complete instead of 20 or more, as a couple
of days ago.

However, my 1.2.11 queries are _still_ taking under 1 second.  There's
definitely something strange going on.

I'll try digging out strace and/or the debugger to try to get a handle
on where it's freezing up.  Thanks.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@baynetworks.com>    HASMAT--HA Software Methods & Tools