Re: How list all of the contents of an LDAP Directory.

Yes, I think you are correct.  I misread the man page it says it will override the ldap.conf file's sizelimit settings, not the server's sizelimite settings.  And, you must be root to do so.

Thanks

Dan

Bing Du wrote:

I doubt about it.  The option '-z' can just control how many entries the client wants to be returned rather than how many entries that the server can return.  The sizelimit configured on the server controls.  If your server size limit has been set to 499, you can ask fewer but not more.

Correct me please if I'm wrong.

Bing

Bing Du <bing-du@tamu.edu, 979-845-9577>
Texas A&M University, CIS, Operating Systems, Unix

>>> Daniell Freed <dxf@dewittross.net> 03/23/01 08:37AM >>>
There may be a size limit set in the slapd.conf file that will inhibit you
from retrieving more than 499 entries at a time.  I think, from what the
ldapsearch man page says, that if you bind to the server as the rootdn you can
add a -z 0 to your ldapsearch to retrieve everything.  So you could do
something like this:

ldapsearch -z 0 -b "o=somecompany.com" -D "cn=manager,o=somecompany.com" -W
"(objectclass=*)"

and you should get everything back.

Dan

Carles Xavier Munyoz Baldó wrote:

--
Daniell Freed
Computer Services

He who fights with monsters might take care
lest he thereby become a monster.
And if you gaze for long into an abyss,
the abyss gazes also into you.

Beyond Good and Evil