Re: refresh the entire directory

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 02:56:36PM -0600, Bing Du wrote:
> If compareing each record in the datafeeds with ldap directly to
> indentify changes, it might be involved a lot 'search' and 'compare'
> operations.   How are 50,000 'search' and 'compare' actions compared
> with 50,000 'modify' (replace, add or delete) actions in terms of memory
> consumption and server performance?  (The number is not important here.
> I just used 50,000 to represent a large amount).

You could perhaps use ldbm2ldif or something first, and compare against
that.

I think I would first determine what entries need to be changed, and
then for each change, check that it went well and store those that
failed (just some key attribute perhaps) in a file. When determining
what to do next night, I would include those that failed last night.
Instead of a separate file for the failures, you could also modify
the file with the data, so that the entries are different when you next
night do the diff against the new data file.

Stig