Re: refresh the entire directory

We use a home-grown script to build an LDIF file that contains all
modifications for all the entries in the directory first.  Then the
script calls ldapmodify to perform the real change with the directory
server up.

Your approach sounds like a brand new idea to me.  How many entries are
their in your directory?  How long does it take starting from stopping
the daemon till bring it back up after update?  I guess during this
period, the directory is not available for being looked up, right?

Thanks,

Bing

Bing Du <bing-du@tamu.edu, 979-845-9577>
Texas A&M University, CIS, Operating Systems, Unix

>>> Jens Vagelpohl <jens@digicool.com> 03/21/01 01:14PM >>>
i am doing something similar in my setup.

every night we are pulling data out of a postgres database which we use
as
the "source of record" for all address and contact data collected in
the
company. Our mechanism builds an LDIF file that contains the complete
LDAP
database structure and all entries.

Our way of replacing the LDAP backend database is simply a script that
does
the following:

* stop the slapd daemon
* rm -rf the contents of our backend database directory
* use slapadd to build a brand new ldap database from the LDIF file
* restart slapd

this way there is no real impact on the server because we don't go
through
the server to rewrite the backend database, we just give it a brand new
one.
the only really ugly piece is the code that builds the LDIF file... :)

jens