SASL and LDAP

Hi,
Is it just me or is sasl the most common topic on this list?

I've been trying to get cyrus and ldap working for about the whole weekend
(excluding about 14 hours of sleep) w/o getting it to work for different
reasons.

Right now I got to question:
1. How do you configure ldap to authenticate users directly through sasl
without going through pam?

2. Has anyone managed to compile cyrus and get it up and running on a rh7
machine? I'm in serious doubt that it is at all possible after this weekend.
Anyone with tips on this would be wellcome. I usually get so far as to
telnet localhost imap where I get mailserver conected, escapecaracter is ^]
and then the whole thing just stops. (I know off topic, but I'm totaly
desparate!)

Any answers that might helt will be _very_ welcome!

Tarjei