Re: memory leak in 1.2.11

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, Urban Lindberg wrote:

> I don't know about any memory leak, but We are running openLDAP 1.2.11 on a
> FreeBSD system, and in the beginning we hade some problems with crasches, we
> started to suspect that threads were not working so well, so we compiled without
> threads and have not had any problem since. Our server is not highly loaded, we
> use it to store netscape roaming profiles for about 40 users. But it has been up
> and running now for several months without any problems.
>
> If you have enabled threads, you might wan't to try without.

What version of FreeBSD?
  I originally ran slapd on something like 4.1-S, but the threads were
pretty broken on there. It had problems. Most notably where it wouldn't
die when you killed it.
  Now on 4.2-S those problems have been fixed and the threads stuff seems
okay. I'm loath to compile without threads, because it's so damn slow that
way.
  It's used to provide access to a user database which is rebuilt from a
MySQL database every night. The entire database it serves takes up ~40MB
disk space, but the process can get to over 512MB in just a day. Caching
the whole database into RAM shouldn't take up that much space.
  Cheers.

Mark Powell - UNIX System Administrator - The University of Salford
Academic Information Services, Clifford Whitworth Building,
Salford University, Manchester, M5 4WT, UK.
Tel: +44 161 295 5936  Fax: +44 161 295 5888  www.pgp.com for PGP key