slapd crash with JNDI search

I've encountered an issue with JNDI searches that crashes slapd.

I've got an example where the following is the case:

dn: ou=myorg, ou=remote,o=vdc

(is a referral to another server)

dn: role=user,ou=myorg, ou=remote,o=vdc

(is a users role in that org that I know)

under that user role may be some entries that I would like to search, lets call them.

dn: class=xxx, role=user, ou=myorg, ou=remote,o=vdc

dn: class=yyy, role=user, ou=myorg, ou=remote,o=vdc

dn: class=zzz, role=user, ou=myorg, ou=remote,o=vdc

Using JNDI I can setup a Initial Directory Context

DirContext  ctx = new InitialDirectoryContext(env)

bound to "ou=remote,o=vdc"

I can perform searches in this context or I can name a new sub-context to search in.

String newCtx = "role=user, ou=myorg, ou=remote,o=vdc";

results = ctx.search(newCtx,"(class=*)",...);

however this causes openldap to crash, probably because I'm trying to set a sub-context ("role=user, ou=myorg, ou=remote,o=vdc") that contains a referral (ou=myorg) entry. Logically I would think this should attempt to re-bind to the server the referral is pointing to and do the search there. However, I cannot figure out if this is true or not.

My question, Is this something new, or is there a history to this issue? I couldn't find anything searching the archives.

-Mark Diggory