Modifying multivalue attributes with PerLDAP

Dear y'all,

I have a problem modifying multivalue attributes for an
existing entry.

With OpenLDAP 2.07, I can use PerLDAP to add multivalue
attributes to a new entry, as described in the Wilcox book
'Implementing LDAP', e.g.

$entry->addValue("cn","Chris Sheeran");
$entry->addValue("cn","Chris T. Sheeran");
$entry->addValue("cn","CT Sheeran");

This works great, but I have not been able to modify these
values in an existing entry. The Wilcox book suggests the
following can be used:

$entry->{cn}=["Chris Sheeran","Chris T. Sheeran","CT
Sheeran"];

but this fails on update with the following error:

LDAP error: : Invalid syntax
LDAP error: : additional info: multiple values provided

This same code is successful with the Netscape Server. What
must I do to update multivalue attributes in OpenLDAP?
(using Perl, if possible?)

Thanks,
Chris Sheeran, JAARS, Inc.