acl question

I need to setup an acl where a specific user has write access to a particular ou and everything below it.  What I have tried to do is this:

# access levels
defaultaccess read

access to * by dn="cn=manager,o=contacts.company.net" write

access to dn=".*,ou=people,o=contacts.company.net"
    by dn="cn=admin,o=contacts.company.net" write
    by * read

access to dn=".*,ou=groups,o=contacts.company.net"
    by dn="cn=admin,o=contacts.company.net" write
    by * read

When I do this though I just get read access when I am binding to the cn=admin user account.  The bind operation seems to work fine, but can't modify anything in the ou=people or ou=groups trees when using admin.  cn=manager is the root dn, and that works fine.

Can anyone help me see what I am doing wrong?  I am using openldap 1.2.9, if it matters.

Thanks.

--
Daniell Freed
Computer Services

He who fights with monsters might take care
lest he thereby become a monster.
And if you gaze for long into an abyss,
the abyss gazes also into you.

Beyond Good and Evil