Re: Benchmark

Javi wrote:
> Hi to all,
> I want to test my openldap and I just want to know if there's a good
> benchmark to test it.

1. Yes.
2. No.

It's a fairly complex qestion. There are standard benchmark suites to
test LDAP servers, but there's an old, paraphrased, saying:

"There are three kinds of lies: Lies, Damn Lies, and Benchmarks."

The most accurate benchmarks will be derived not from some vague
"standardized" test, but from testing your actual data, in the manner
which you will be using the server. Most benchmarks are based on
a very simple set of records, a fairly flat LDAP tree, and some
basic add/modify/delete lookup scripts run on a given set of records.

However, if your records are more complex (say, if you're storing
lots of images, or have a large number of referrals), or you have
a tree split across four machines (with a tree with 15 levels of
auth/ACL deep), or are doing frequent modifications or infrequent
searches, or do most of your searches over different, varying, network
links, the standard "benchmarks" will in no way reflect your
actual running performance, and are *only* useful for benchmarking a
system against itself or against other systems in lab conditions.

That all being said:
http://www.mindcraft.com/directorymark/

Tries to capture as much "general" benchmark info as possible. You must
ask them for source code if you wish to compile it yourself.

-Ronabop

--
Personal:  ron@opus1.com, 520-326-6109, http://www.opus1.com/ron/
Work: rchmara@pnsinc.com, 520-546-8993, http://www.pnsinc.com/