Re: import userpassword via LDIF

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 09:59:04AM -0800, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
[...]
> >So let me try this: If i generate a crypt'ed password, and convert it
> >manually to base64, it will return me exactly the form shown above?
>
> What ever value you provide via LDIF, which supports both plain and base64
> forms, will be provided back in an appropriate LDIF form.  For userPassword,
> our tools always use the base64 form.

Ah ... yeah, that's a base64 representation of a {crypt}password string.  I
had problems authenticating the user with my imported password, but then I was
confused by the base64 stuff and the changed semantics of the 2.0 utilities.
:)

> See archives for past discussions regarding userPassword and LDIF.

If I go to http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/ and ask for
"userPassword;LDIF" all I get is this thread here ... is there some trick to
the list search interface?

I guess I'll ask questions here:

1) So, if I import LDIF with {crypt}passwords and NOT freak out, this should
work.

2) There is no way to force OpenLDAP to present userPassword as a text string?
(Now that I know it is base64 I can just unencode it, np. :)

Thanks,
-danny