Re: LDAP Replication [???] how is it supposed to work???

Updatedn in the slave should be the same as the replica binddn in the master.
In other words, in your slave slapd.conf, you need:

binddn="cn=Replicator,dc=nando,dc=net"

Also, that dn must exist in the slave, or you won't be able to bind to it.
If not, it might be a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem.  Two approaches to
this will work.  Either create "cn=Replicator,dc=nando,dc=net" on the master,
then dump the master and load it into the slave using LDIF files, then
restart the slave.  Or, if you've already done that and don't care to
repeat the process, temporarily change updatedn to be the same as the
rootdn in the master and the slave slapd.conf, and you'll be able to
perform the replication (but I don't recommend leaving it that way).
Or, you can temporarily bring your slave up as a master (on an alternate
port if need be) and then ldapadd "cn=Replicator,dc=nando,dc=net" after
binding as the rootdn.

Randy