post 2.0.7: can't search attributes containing DN info?

Please help! I just upgraded to 2.0.7 and have one problem I can't solve.

I have a memberOfGroup attribute that contains DN data and I can no longer
do a full DN search on it.  From my schema:

         NAME 'memberOfGroup'
         DESC 'memberOfGroup'
         EQUALITY distinguishedNameMatch
         SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.12 )

 ldapsearch memberofgroup=<Group DN> always returns no matches.

 In desperation, I added:
     SUBSTR caseIgnoreSubstringsMatch

 and now I can get results by searching:

 ldapsearch memberofgroup=<Group DN substr*>

 Where can I look for the problem ? What can I do differently?

 -----
 A user entry:

 dn: uid=carriec + cn=Carrie Coy, ou=Central Office, ou=People, o=Vermont
Department of Corrections, c=US
memberOfGroup: cn=MIS Staff, ou=Groups, o=Vermont Department of Corrections,
c=US

Returns no matches:
ldapsearch  "memberOfGroup=cn=MIS Staff, ou=Groups, o=Vermont Department of
Corrections, c=US"

Returns results:
ldapsearch  "memberOfGroup=cn=MIS Staff*"

Thanks for any insight.
--
Carrie Coy