backup (was: slapcat cannot open database - why?)

Hi Kurt!

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:

> >    slapcat: could not open database.

> Make sure slapd is not running.

Ah, many thanks, that helped.

But this doesn't help me with my initial problem: I want to backup the
LDAP server.  Is it safe to backup the gdbm files only?  I personally
would prefer to backup a LDIF file, which can also be used on a
machine with a different hardware architecture.  That's why I was
looking for slapcat.  But on a production machine I cannot stop slapd
while running slapcat, because the server needs to be available all
the time.

So my new question is: how do you backup the data of your LDAP servers?

Tschoeeee

        Roland