Re: Converting userPassword Types?

Nope, thank heavens.  Those are all one-way encryption algorythms.  Otherwsie, if you could from one encryption mechanism directly into another, you could just as easily convert from any one of them into plain text (woops!!).

The easiest solution is to encourage users to change their passwords. That way you can grab a plaintext version and encrypt it however you like.

One trick you might try is to keep the crypt password and make provision for an MD5 or SHA mechanism. Then, depending on what services you have control over, add an arbitray delay for those who have not changed their password. That's the same type of mechanism as is built into the CMU IMAP server (and commercial derivatives) to encourage end-users to switch to mail clients that support mechanisms such as digest-md5 authentication. The reason behind the delay is slightly different, but the purpose of the delay itself is to provide a sort of gentle encouragement.

-- Rob