Re: slapd won't start, no logs

I also recently faced the same problem, with the slapd terminating
without reporting. I debugged the start-up script and traced it to
the fact that the slapd.conf file was 'syntactically' not correct.
The ldap script in /etc/rc.d/init.d calls 'initlog' command which
logs it in /var/... something file.

rdrake@telusplanet.net wrote:

> I have had 2.X slapd running for some time and I then installed 1.X openldap
> "over top".  I have had it running for awhile, but recently I killed it and
> now I can't restart it.  When I execute the file it just does nothing.  It is
> not running (no ps listing, can't connect to port) and no logging whatsoever
> gets produced to the logfile.  I have confirmed that logging works as I can
> see that when I killed the slpad process it logged and the last time that I
> started it was logged as well.  The debugging level is set to -1.  I checked
> that the libraries are linked in.  I am at a loss now as there are no error
> messages either in the logs or after I run the command.  Any ideas?  If I was
> on Solaris I could use truss to follow the sys calls...is there a similar thing
> to do on linux?
> much thanks!
> rich

                             .--.              .--.