Re: Replication "credentials"

Pablo Pernot wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have a master slapd and slave.
>
> I first use plain text passwd like this :
>
> replica host=myhost:389
>          binddn="cn=MyCN,dc=MyDC,dc=MyDC"
>          bindmethod=simple credentials=secret
>
> BVut I wish to use crypt passwd like this :
>
> replica host=myhost:389
>         binddn="cn=MyCN,dc=MyDC,dc=MyDC"
>         bindmethod=simple credentials={CRYPT}GH.76TGNjhG
>
> but it failed. why ?

Because!
You cannot supply crypted credentials, otherwise there would
be no use in crypting them. Maybe you're deceived by the fact
that you can supply crypted credentials to the db administrator
in the slapd.conf file. This is allowed because the credentials
are directly read by the slapd process. But during the
replication process, a ldap client, slurpd, binds to a REMOTE
server, so, for simple bind, a cleartext password must be supplied.

Pierangelo.

--
Dr. Pierangelo Masarati               | voice: +39 02 2399 8365
Politecnico di Milano                 | mailto:masarati@aero.polimi.it