High Availability (was: Re: slave2master replication)

I'm new to the list (& to ldap), so shout at me in a lower tone if I am
downright out of tune in here...

El 10 Nov 2000, a las 16:04, Kurt D. Zeilenga escribió:

> By definition, there is no such thing as slave to master
> replication.  When attempting to modify a slave, the
> slave will refer the client to the master (if properly
> configured).  Not all clients will automatically chase
> this referral, but that's yet another matter.
>
> Kurt
That's what I thought, now, is there a way of providing some kind of HA
to openldap?

That is, I want to have a couple (or more) servers being able not only to
answer queries, but I would also like them to be able to accept
modifications to the tree.

The servers themselves would be topografically together, that is they
would share an ethernet (or a fast-ethernet).

Is it possible/reasonable/ridiculous putting the .../var/openldap-ldbm in
a share nfs directory? if so, should I turn off slurpd since the servers
are actually using the same data? what about caching?

Is there any other obvious (or not) way to do what I want?

TIA