Re: OpenLDAP setup

> Hugo.van.der.Kooij@caiw.nl wrote:

> > > but when i use slapadd to add entries to my current DB, i've to restart slapd
> > > afterwards to make changes taking effekt. is there a way to avoid this?
> >
> > use ldapadd!
>
> hehehe.... that's what i thought too...
> i just asked, because u said: '... it is still advised to use slapadd while
> someone is using the LDAP server...'. i was just wondering why, and how... did i
> get u wrong with that?

You must not be running slapd when you run slapadd.  Slapadd modifies the
database and index files without regard to what slapd is doing, ie. there
is no provision for cooperation between the two (nor should there be).
Slapd, when it is running expects to have exclusive access to the database
files.

For this reason, many people suggest and encourage using ldapadd.  However,
if preserving operational attributes is important to you, such as
createtimestamp, modifytimestamp, creatorsname, and modifiersname, then
you must use slapadd.  A workaround would be to temporarily configure
your server as a slave, and bind as the updatedn, so that the server will
accept those attributes from slapadd.

Randy