Re: ldapadd/ldapsearch

I'm not sure what your question is.  It is doing exactly what it is supposed
to.  The "dn:" line (with no dn) is actually listing the dn, which is the
empty string, aka the root DSE.  The next line is indeed the attribute you
asked for, namingContexts.  When searching the root DSE, you must explicitly
request the attributes you want.  This is because you must explicitly request
all operational attributes.  Some LDAP servers will return these attributes
by default.  OpenLDAP strictly adheres to the standard and does not.
OpenLDAP does, however, implement an extension which it is hoped will become
standard, which is to use the "+" as an attribute name, which means to return
all operational attributes.  "*" means return all regular attributes.  So
if you request both "*" and "+" in your search, you'll get every possible
attribute back.

Randy