netscape proxy and openldap

Netscape Proxy expects userpasswords in the SHA code. When I place entries in openldap database the SHA code is converted to base 64:
dn: uid=ccardina, dc=sms, dc=siemens, dc=com
userPassword:: e1NIQX1tNllYS3pUSjk4elBOSk5QKy82alJIU0NMZkE9
objectClass: top
objectClass: person
objectClass: organizationalPerson
objectClass: inetOrgPerson
givenName: Christopher
sn: Cardinal
cn: Christopher Cardinal
uid: ccardina
as opposed to....
dn: uid=ccardina
userpassword: {SHA}m6YXKzTJ98zPNJNP+/6jRHSCLfA=
objectclass: top
objectclass: person
objectclass: organizationalPerson
objectclass: inetOrgPerson
givenname: Christopher
sn: Cardinal
cn: Christopher Cardinal
uid: ccardina
So ldapsearch returns the base 64 code, not and SHA code. Does anyone know if, when Netscape Proxy asks for userpassword, it will understand the base 64 coding? Or should I do something differently? Thanks very much,

Chris