Help! config error on gdbm LDBM on Solaris 7.

Hi. I need to install openldap on Solaris 7 so I can use it with php. I am
going to use GNU gdbm as the LDBM. The install of gdbm was done with solaris
package gdbm-1.7.3-sol7-intel-local.gz (the source would not "make
install"). Now when I try to configure openldap it complains when looking
for a "suitable LDBM backend" even though I have it installed. Here is my
configure script that I put together with help form the faq-o-matic..

#!/usr/bin/sh
env ac_cv_func_pthread_create=no \
    ol_cv_kthread_flag=no ol_cv_pthread_flag=no \
    ol_cv_pthreads_flag=no \
    ol_cv_thread_flag=no \
    CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include" \
    LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib" \
    ./configure --with-ldbm-api=gdbm --without-threads
PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/mysql/bin:/usr/
ccs/bin:/usr/xpg4/bin:/usr/local/lib
Here are the results with ./configure

checking for krb.h... no
checking for des.h... no
checking for GDBM library... checking for gdbm_open... no
checking for gdbm_open in -lgdbm... no
no
checking for gdbm.h... yes
checking for db... no
configure: warning: could not find suitable LDBM backend
configure: error: select appropriate LDBM options or disable
And here is the tail of the config.log

configure:3728: checking for des.h
configure:3738: gcc -E  conftest.c >/dev/null 2>conftest.out
configure:3734: des.h: No such file or directory
configure: failed program was:
#line 3733 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
#include <des.h>
configure:6641: checking for GDBM library
configure:6647: checking for gdbm_open
configure:6676: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c -lresolv -lgen -lnsl
-lsocket  1>&5
gdbm_open                           /var/tmp/cck0ayLp1.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to conftest
configure: failed program was:
#line 6652 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
/* System header to define __stub macros and hopefully few prototypes,
    which can conflict with char gdbm_open(); below.  */
#include <assert.h>
/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char gdbm_open();
char (*f)();

int main() {

/* The GNU C library defines this for functions which it implements
    to always fail with ENOSYS.  Some functions are actually named
    something starting with __ and the normal name is an alias.  */
#if defined (__stub_gdbm_open) || defined (__stub___gdbm_open)
choke me
#else
f = gdbm_open;
#endif

; return 0; }
configure:6695: checking for gdbm_open in -lgdbm
configure:6714: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c -lgdbm  -lresolv -lgen
-lnsl -lsocket  1>&5
gdbm_open                           /var/tmp/cceiayNp1.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to conftest
configure: failed program was:
#line 6703 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char gdbm_open();

int main() {
gdbm_open()
; return 0; }
configure:6749: checking for gdbm.h
configure:6759: gcc -E  conftest.c >/dev/null 2>conftest.out
configure:6786: checking for db

Please help me out. I have to prove to my boss that I can do this. If im
just using openldap for php functions is there a simple way to install
openldap??

Chris Huff