ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: No such attribute & Can't connect

Hi

I just installed openldap (after installing sasl 1.5.24), but when I start
ldapadd I get the following error:

# ldapadd -D "cn=root,dc=my,dc=domain,dc=org" -W < INIT
Enter LDAP Password:
ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: No such attribute

After adding a user to the sasl-db with 'saslpasswd' so there's a
/etc/sasldb I still get:

Enter LDAP Password:
SASL/DIGEST-MD5 authentication started
ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Can't contact LDAP server

What's wrong?
I couldn't find anything in the man-pages...

(Extra debug-info is at the bottom of this message)

Thank you,
Paul

P.S. I tried -d 9 and -v:
[...]
SASL/DIGEST-MD5 authentication started
ldap_sasl_bind_s
ldap_sasl_bind
ldap_send_initial_request
ldap_send_server_request
ber_flush: 56 bytes to sd 3
ldap_result
wait4msg (infinite timeout)
** Connections:
* host: localhost  port: 389  (default)
  refcnt: 2  status: Connected
  last used: Thu Sep 28 19:30:59 2000

** Outstanding Requests:
 * msgid 2,  origid 2, status InProgress
   outstanding referrals 0, parent count 0
** Response Queue:
   Empty
do_ldap_select
read1msg
ber_get_next
ber_get_next: tag 0x30 len 50 contents:
no request for response with msgid 0 (tossing)
** Connections:
* host: localhost  port: 389  (default)
  refcnt: 2  status: Connected
  last used: Thu Sep 28 19:30:59 2000

** Outstanding Requests:
 * msgid 2,  origid 2, status InProgress
   outstanding referrals 0, parent count 0
** Response Queue:
   Empty
do_ldap_select
read1msg
ber_get_next
ber_get_next failed.
ldap_perror
ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Can't contact LDAP server