problems using ldapsearch with 2.0

Ok.  I'm almost done asking all these questions on the mailing list.  Kurt and
Hugo, you have both helped me a great deal.  I appreciate it very much.

in openldap 1.2.11 I could do "ldapsearch uid=jhoot", for example, and it
would find my user jhoot and print out all of his details.  I try the same
command in 2.0 and I don't see anything.  Here is my entry in the database:

dn: uid=jhoot,ou=People,dc=nowcom,dc=com
uid: jhoot
cn: Joe Hoot
sn: Hoot
givenName: Joe
objectClass: account
objectClass: person
objectClass: organizationalPerson
objectClass: inetOrgPerson
objectClass: posixAccount
objectClass: top
mail: jhoot@nowcom.com
telephoneNumber: +1 323 692 4058
userPassword:: amhvb3Q=
loginShell: /bin/bash
uidNumber: 4006
gidNumber: 100
homeDirectory: /home/jhoot
title: System Administrator
gecos: Joe Hoot - System Administration
creatorsName: cn=Manager, dc=nowcom, dc=com
createTimestamp: 20000922150403Z
modifiersName: cn=Manager, dc=nowcom, dc=com
modifyTimestamp: 20000922150403Z

any thoughts?  I have, btw, made sure that my
/usr/local/etc/openldap/ldap.conf has the correct BASE  dc=nowcom,dc=com

oh.. and here's my debuging information that I don't see any problems with:

[jhoot@elmer jhoot]$ ldapsearch uid=jhoot -d 1
ldap_init
ldap_bind_s
ldap_simple_bind_s
ldap_simple_bind
ldap_send_initial_request
open_ldap_connection
ldap_connect_to_host: localhost:389
sd 3 connected to: 127.0.0.1
ldap_delayed_open successful, ld_host is (null)
ldap_send_server_request
ber_flush: 14 bytes to sd 3
ldap_result
wait4msg (infinite timeout)
** Connections:
* host: localhost  port: 389  (default)
  refcnt: 2  status: Connected
  last used: Fri Sep 22 12:41:46 2000

** Outstanding Requests:
 * msgid 1,  origid 1, status InProgress
   outstanding referrals 0, parent count 0
** Response Queue:
   Empty
do_ldap_select
read1msg
ber_get_next
ber_get_next: tag 0x30 len 12 contents:
got result msgid 1, original id 1
new result:  res_errno: 0, res_error: <>, res_matched: <>
read1msg:  0 new referrals
request 1 done
res_errno: 0, res_error: <>, res_matched: <>
ldap_free_request (origid 1, msgid 1)
ldap_free_connection
ldap_free_connection: refcnt 1
ldap_result2error
ldap_msgfree
ldap_search
put_filter "uid=jhoot"
put_filter: default
put_simple_filter "uid=jhoot"
ldap_send_initial_request
ldap_send_server_request
ber_flush: 56 bytes to sd 3
ldap_result
wait4msg (infinite timeout)
** Connections:
* host: localhost  port: 389  (default)
  refcnt: 2  status: Connected
  last used: Fri Sep 22 12:41:46 2000

** Outstanding Requests:
 * msgid 2,  origid 2, status InProgress
   outstanding referrals 0, parent count 0
** Response Queue:
   Empty
do_ldap_select
read1msg
ber_get_next
ber_get_next: tag 0x30 len 12 contents:
got result msgid 2, original id 2
new result:  res_errno: 0, res_error: <>, res_matched: <>
read1msg:  0 new referrals
request 2 done
res_errno: 0, res_error: <>, res_matched: <>
ldap_free_request (origid 2, msgid 2)
ldap_free_connection
ldap_free_connection: refcnt 1
ldap_result2error