Impossible to populate database

I am using OpenLDAP 2.0.3.
I have been able to compile, test, and install the software successfully.

I can run
ldapsearch -x -b '' -s base '(objectclass=*)' namingContexts
successfully, I get what I entered in the suffix.

Now, I want to add entries to my database.
I tried to add the following ldif file:

dn: o=mycomp, c=com
objectclass: top
objectclass: organization
o: mycomp

with ldapadd, I get a return code 32: no such object,
with slapadd, the log says the "o" attribute on line 5 ( Why 5???) is not
allowed.

I double checked my schema has been loaded....

[btw, I am unable to redirect the log to a file. Is there an option to set
somewhere???]

please help...