authentication with openldap

Is anyone using ldap to authenticate?   I've been trying to get this working
for about two months now and can't seem to do it.  I have created my ldap
database just fine using an ldif file and importing it via ldif2ldbm.  I have
installed pam.d with the ldap stuff... I think its pam.d-70.tgz.  One big
thing that is stopping me now is one, I can't ssh into the box anymore since I
changed pam and two, I can't get ldap to authenticate remotely.

If anyone has helpful links on ldap authentication, I would appreciate it if
you'd send them my way.

Thanks,
Joe

Joseph Hoot