Re: Openldap 2.x but still no roaming profiles

On Sat, 16 Sep 2000, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:

> As far as Netscape Roaming interoperability goes, I suggest you
> redefine (with new OIDs) each attribute type of binary syntax
> to be octetString syntax.  This is likely what Netscape meant
> all along.   As I noted previously, arbitrarily mapping old
> 'bin' to binary does make sense.

Ok. So in order to provide a schema file for OpenLDAP I would take the
following steps:

 1. Get myself an OID assigned.

 2. Rewrite the schema file

 3. Test, test and test some more untill I know it works perfectly.

 4. Document the steps involved including slapd.conf, LDIF examples and my
    own schema file.

Or

 1. Change the schema file so it will deviate from the one from Netscape.

 2. Keep all quite about it and let everyone fight their own fight.

Or try to get some OIDs from a friendly manufacturer.

In case I want to take the first route I just want to make sure we won't
get loads of similar schema files trying to solve the same issue with
everyone's own OID's. (I rather not create the 9th identical solution on a
beaten path. ;-)

So if people feel I should take the first route just let me know.

Hugo.

hvdkooij@caiw.nl	http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~hvdkooij/
Quoting this tagline is illegal! (http://www.dtcc.edu/cs/rfc1855.html)