slapd.conf on NT

I managed to compile 2.0 on NT 2000/VC++ without SASL and the gnu regexp.
But slapd wouldnt start with whatever combination of slapd.conf i provide.
The following is an output from a minimalist configuration.

$ ./slapd -f slapd.conf -d 399
starting slapd...
OpenLDAP -devel Standalone LDAP Server (slapd)daemon_init: <null>
daemon_init: listen on ldap:///
daemon_init: 1 listeners to open...
ldap_url_parse(ldap:///)
daemon: initialized ldap:///
daemon_init: 1 listeners opened
./slapd init: initiated server.
slapd.conf: line 18: extra cruft after <dn> in "suffix o=ecal, c=US" line
(ignor
ed)
No objectClass "top" defined in schema
schema prep error
./slapd shutdown: freeing system resources.
slapd stopped.
connections_destroy: nothing to destroy.

My runtime env is in a bash shell. Running in a dos box produces no
different results.
Please help me out.

Narsi