Re: [Fwd: migrating data from 1.2 to 2.0]

At 04:13 PM 9/12/00 +0200, Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
>"J. Cameijo Cerdeira" wrote:
>
>> What's the preferred way to migrate the data? I've an 85 meg id2entry file
>> and a lot of indexes and it turns out that it takes almost three days to
>> reconstruct the whole thing with slapadd (sigh). shall I import the ldif data
>> first and create the indexes afterwards?
>
>I guess you should do a /usr/sbin/ldbmcat -n of your file
>(ldbmcat works with OpenLDAP 1.x), then a slapadd of the
>LDIF file resulting from ldbmcat. Note that slapadd replaces
>ldif2ldbm for OpenLDAP 2.0

Note that if you put T.61 strings you put into your OpenLDAP
1.2 directory as expected by LDAPv2, you'll have to convert
the output of ldbmcat to UTF-8 before loading it with slapadd
as OpenLDAP 2.0 expects UTF-8 encoded IS0 10646-1.  If you
only stored US-ASCII characters, no conversion is needed.
If you cheated, you're on your own.

Also note that you might have to convert other various other
attribute values.  For example, certificates need to be
BER encoded and provided using ";binary" in 2.0... where
1.2 expects the string representation of the certificate.
If you cheated, you're on your own.

That is, migration might require non-trivial data transformations.

Kurt