Re: Netscape Roaming Profile for OpenLDAP v2

At 11:52 PM 9/8/00 +0200, Hugo.van.der.Kooij@caiw.nl wrote:
>I know that there seems to be some confusion regarding entries.
>But I'm still curious why these differences exist.

Curious in regard to which differences?
  attributetypes: v attributetype ?
  objectclasses: v objectclass ?

That's solely to note that the configuration directive is
adding one type where the other is the LDIF is presentation
of one value (of a set of values).  Both, however, use the
same value syntax.

>Are both formats valid LDAP v3 schema's?

There is one LDAPv3 format for each schema element type
(syntax, matching rule, attribute type, object class)
used on the wire.  These are described by RFC 2252.
OpenLDAP 2.0 uses these formats in it's configuration
directives.

LDAP implementors are, of course, free to use other formats
for schema specification but should publish via LDAP whatever
schema they support using the prescribed mechanism (including
the RFC2252 formats).  The use of other formats may require
mapping which can be quite problematic. OpenLDAP avoid these
problems by re-using the on-the-wire format for configuration.

Kurt