Re: aliasing and slapd

At 01:58 PM 9/7/00 -0500, Randy Kunkee wrote:
>OpenLDAP 1.2.x has only limited aliasing support, and this support will
>not be extended.  Bugs may be fixed, but what you really need to do is
>get OpenLDAP 2.0 where there is more support for aliasing, as well as
>ongoing development.

I would categorize both 1.2 and 2.0 as providing limited support
for aliases.  That is neither supports finding of aliased subtrees
(or aliased entries).  1.2's implement has some known bugs (see
archives of this list and the -bugs list).  These bugs are not
evident in 2.0.  However, the limitation upon alias usage still
remains.

In general, I don't recommend use of aliases as they have (even
when fully implemented) a number of limitations (such as the
inabilitly to span namingContexts, only evaluated on search
operations, etc.).  I prefer use referrals instead.

Kurt