Re: can't start slapd

Slapd doesn't read ldap.conf -- only clients do.  So you need to
use the -p option to the startup of slapd to specify what port to listen
to (assuming you are using 1.2.11).  For OpenLDAP 2.0-gamma, check the
docs (a URI is supplied).

Also, you can use -d to set debug mode, and get a clear reason why it
won't start.