can't start slapd

Hi

I'm trying to install the last stable version of OpenLdap
on a HP-UX 10.20 platform with BerkeleyDB (2.7.7) and Gnu
Pth.
The whole installation process seems to work well, but I
can't start slapd (the ps command gives nothing).
As I can't log as root, I changed the default port (389) to
8081 in the ldap.conf file. Here it is :
#
# LDAP Defaults
#

# See ldap.conf(5) for details
# This file should be world readable.

BASE dc=example, dc=com
HOST 172.22.48.13

#HOST ldap.openldap.org ldap-master.openldap.org:666
PORT 8081

#SIZELIMIT 12
#TIMELIMIT 15
#DEREF never

Those are the only changes I've made!!

Another strange thing is that my var directory is empty, so
I don't have any log files to help me in finding where the
problem is.

Any help would be welcome
Thanks

S.Jacquet