Newbie install problems

I am very new to both Unix system administration and LDAP servers so I hope
you will forgive my ignorance and help me out.

I have a BSD/OS 3.1 server on which I am trying to build and install
OpenLDAP 1.2.11. I followed the directions in the Quick Start Guide at
<http://www.openldap.org/faq/index.cgi?file=172>.

"make depend" and "make" completed successfully (I made no changes to the
default configuration). But when I run the test suite I get the following
error.

running defines.sh . ldbm
Cleaning up in ./test-db...
Running ldif2ldbm to build slapd database...
Starting slapd on TCP/IP port 9009...
Testing slapd access control...
Waiting 5 seconds for slapd to start...
Using ldapsearch to retrieve all the entries...
ldapsearch failed!
*** Error code 1

Stop.

I'm afraid I don't know where to start to decipher what is wrong. Any help,
recommendations or RTFM (as long as you point me to the manual!) would be
greatly appreciated.

--
Remo Del Bello