ud, searchbase problems

	Two days ago, I made two ud.conf files in /usr/local/etc/openldap
for our HPUX 10.20 and Slackware Linux machines.  I even got ud to work
for both of them.  Now, ud on linux is not reading its conf file, nor does
it work when I try to search the directory (on both).  Here is the status
and errors I get:

Linux:

amulek:patrick:11:/usr/local/etc/openldap> ud -s dusk.ee.byu.edu -f
ud.conf
LDAP UserDirectory 1.2.11-Release (Tue Jun 20 10:38:47 MDT 2000)

  Enter a command.  If you need help, type 'h' or '?' and hit RETURN.

* status
  Current server is dusk.ee.byu.edu
  Search base is root
  Group  base is
  Bound as Nobody
  Verbose mode is enabled
  Aliases are being dereferenced
* cb o=Brigham Young University
  Search base is now Brigham Young University
* bind root
  I could not find "root" in the Directory.
  I used a search base of Brigham Young University

(the ud.conf file specifies the server and the searchbase already)

HPUX:

kingbenjamin:patrick:3:/ui4/users/patrick> ud
LDAP UserDirectory 1.2.11-Release (Tue Jun 20 15:00:24 MDT 2000)

  Enter a command.  If you need help, type 'h' or '?' and hit RETURN.

* status
  Current server is dusk.ee.byu.edu
  Search base is Brigham Young University
  Group  base is
  Bound as Nobody
  Verbose mode is enabled
  Aliases are being dereferenced
* bind root
  I could not find "root" in the Directory.
  I used a search base of Brigham Young University

* vedit
  I could not find "uid=root" in the Directory.
  I used a search base of Brigham Young University

        The user "root" is in the Directory, as this ldapsearch
shows: (this is on a linux machine, with the -b specified, without which
will yield no result, though the suffix in the slapd.conf is the same, as
also with ldap.conf.)

dusk:root:12:/usr/local/etc/openldap> ldapsearch -D "uid=root, o=Brigham
Young University" -b "o=Brigham Young University" -W uid=root
Enter LDAP Password:
uid=root, o=Brigham Young University
cn=root
sn=root
objectclass=person
creatorsname=uid=root, o=Brigham Young University
createtimestamp=20000802153401Z
modifytimestamp=20000802172523Z
modifiersname=uid=root, o=Brigham Young University
uid=root

        I didn't have any problems with the ldap tools before today;
everything seemed to be working correctly.  If anyone has any idea how to
correct these problems, please let me know.

  Patrick Blaine Stamps
blainepatrick@netscape.net
"...And my Father dwelt in
 a tent." -2nd Nephi 2:15