Re: slapd hang once a day

> recently, ldap (slapd) has been giving problem. it will
> hang at least once every day and needs manual killing
> and restaring. below is an entry from log file:
> "Jul 10 09:21:55 testserver slapd[19503]: warning:
> cannot open /etc/hosts.allow: Toomany open files"
>
> would appreciate if someone could advise on the
> cause for "cannot open /etc/hosts.allow" and

Means you have built --enable-wrappers but don't have a /etc/hosts.allow
file.  Create one and leave it empty to eliminate the error.  Or you
might want to put in the hosts that should be accessing the LDAP server,
as in:
	slapd: localhost .mydomain.com
to allow localhost and everything in the mydomain.com domain.

> "too many open files" and the solution to the hanging problem.

Not sure.  Could be a side affect of the above error.  If fixing the
above does not clear it up, I'd recommend you upgrade to the latest
released version of OpenLDAP.

> is there any tool/prog that can be used to monitor slapd
> and email/page when the process hang?

Perhaps someone can volunteer such a shell script.  It's likely been
asked before.  Try searching the mailing list archives.

Randy