Re: Help: slapd respawning too fast

Am Don, 29 Jun 2000 schrieb Randy Kunkee:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I use OpenLdap 1.2 and SuSE Linux.
> > Im my inittab I have added the entry
> > 	ld:23:respawn:/usr/local/libexec/slapd -f /usr/local/etc/openldap/myslapd.conf
> >
> > But something goes wrong: init always wants to restart slapd although it
> > is already running:
> >
> > slapd[22306]: slapd starting
> > slapd[22311]: bind() failed errno 98 (Address already in use)
> > slapd[22312]: bind() failed errno 98 (Address already in use)
> > slapd[22316]: bind() failed errno 98 (Address already in use)
> > slapd[22324]: bind() failed errno 98 (Address already in use)
> > slapd[22322]: bind() failed errno 98 (Address already in use)
> > init: Id "ld" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > slapd[22328]: bind() failed errno 98 (Address already in use)
> > slapd[22333]: bind() failed errno 98 (Address already in use)
> > slapd[22335]: bind() failed errno 98 (Address already in use)
> > slapd[22337]: bind() failed errno 98 (Address already in use)
> >
> > Thanks for any help
> >

> This is really a Unix system admin problem, and has very little to do
> with OpenLDAP at all except that the way you are running it, slapd puts
> itself in the background, and appears to init to exit, thus the attempts
> to restart it.  Eventually init disarms itself.
>
> Running slapd out of init is not necessarily the right thing to do, but
> if you want to do it, you need to use a flag to support slapd's backgrounding
> of itself.  Check the manpage.  I believe you can use -d 0 to accomplish
> this.

-d 0 does not work. I added -d 1 that worked. Well, it's right I don't have to
start slapd necassariliy out of init - I have no Problems with the stability of
slapd. But if I really want to go sure that slapd is automatically restarted,
I think then I should use init. Okay, I could use a script checking if slapd is
still alive ...