Re: ldap 2.0 on win200, eventID (1281)

Carlos Araya wrote:

> I have successfully built 2.0 on win2000 but I am having
> problems adding entries. When I add entries using
> ldapmodify -a -D "cn=meo, dc=PRISMedia, dc=com" -W secret < myAdd.ldif
> One of two things happen. The first time I do it I get an
> "operations error" the second time I do it I get an "already
> exists" error. The problem is that when I do an ldapsearch it
> says that nothing is in the list. I looked in the log files
> (like Kurt suggested) and in the win2000 event viewer I am
> getting and eventID error 1281 and 1280. Something about some
> missing dlls but it doesn't tell me which dlls. If anbody has
> any ideas about what I am missing or if I didn't build the
> project correctly please let me know.

Assuming you are using Microsoft VC++, and have installed
all the tools, from an MS-DOS prompt, verify that you have
run:

	DevStudio\VC\bin\Vcvars32.bat

Which is required to set your path.  This in itself is
potentially all you'll need to do, since it sets the LIB
environment variable, and you may be linking against some
libraries that aren't installed in the Windows\system
directory, but are part of the developement environment.

If this doesn't fix it, it will at least let you run a
program which can tell you what DLLs it thinks it needs.

On the executable, run the following command:

	dumpbin /imports slapd.exe | more

This will list all DLLs against which the binary has been
linked, along with all symbols imported from each one.

You can then use "find file" to find the missing DLLs.

I suspect that they are on your system, and are just not
installed properly, and aren't in your "LIB=" library path
in your environment.  If they weren't there, then the stub
libraries against which you had to link your program to
require them in the first place wouldn't be there either,
and your link would have failed.

Normally, you will install DLLs in the Windows\System
directory, use "LIB=" to add their directory to your
library path, use an explicit path when opening the
library in your source code, or "installing" the image
using a registry entry.

As always with things Windows, I'll disavow ever having
written any of this, so as to not set some managers
expectations that I could be called upon to write Windows
code instead of UNIX code.

"Install Shield?  MFC?  Main Event Loop?  Free Threaded
Data Marshalling?  Never heard of them..."

}B^p.

-- Terry Lambert
-- Whistle Communications, Inc., an I.B.M. Company
-- terry@whistle.com
This is formal notice under California Assembly Bill 1629, enacted
9/26/98 that any UCE sent to my email address will be billed $50
per incident to the legally allowed maximum of $25,000.