slapd.conf help for a newbie

Man oh man, I'm very new to this and not getting anywhere

I want to use openldap to serve an address list for email users
using netscape, outlook or Pegasus.

I've gone thru the quickstart and I actually got it working at one
point, but I could never get any info at the clients

can someone help me get a basic slapd.conf working and a ldif file
set up to add new users.  I just don't know where to go next, I'm
sure I'm missing something basic.

Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a
dark side and it holds the universe together.