No Such Object

Mr Greenhorn here is trying to get an OpenLDAP (slapd) to work.

Following the example in the Quick Start, I primed the directory
database with a file that looks like:

           dn: dc=ldis, dc=com
           dc: ldis
           o: LDIS
           objectclass: organization
           objectclass: dcObject

           dn: cn=Manager, dc=ldis, dc=com
           cn: Manager
           sn: Manager
           objectclass: person

When I try to do a lookup using Netscape Communicator, I get the
following error:

   Failed to search 'OpenLDAP Test Installation' due to LDAP error 'No
such object (0x20)

Then I attempt to load an ldif file (exported from my Netscape address
book):

   %ldapadd -D "cn=Manager, dc=ldis, dc=com" -W < addressbook.ldif
   adding new entry cn=Smith, John,mail=joe@ldis.com
   Enter password:
   ldap_add: No such object

Seems pretty clear that my directory is missing something very important
(a root node?),
but I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this.

Any suggestions or hints would be most welcome.
begin:vcard
n:Donald;Jonathan
tel;fax:212/989-1961
tel;work:212/989-1001
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:Liquid Digital Information Systems
adr:;;180 Varick St, 12th Fl;New York;NY;10014;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:jonathan@ldis.com
title:Enterprise Engineer
x-mozilla-cpt:;15104