RE: tuning searches

At 02:02 PM 5/17/00 -0500, Vinod Nair wrote:
> If the DN substr index is not available, does this mean that
> searches will find everything that matches the search attributes,
> rather than in the "subtree" of the base DN to search for ?

No.

> Also, is enabling the DN subindex achieved by simply adding
> an  appropriate entry in the slapd.conf file ?

Yes, add "index dn sub" then generate using ldif2index.

> And is it also subject to the allIds limit (i.e. if there are more
> than 4K entries in the database, it becomes an ALLID block and
> is useless in searches as far as performance goes ?)

It behaves like any other substr index... the usefulness depends
upon the number of values (dn) and the frequency of substrings
of each value occur in other values.

Note that substr indices, in general, are expensive to maintain
and often do not significant improve lookups.  In fact, substr
indices can easily slow down lookups.  Your mileage may vary.

I disabled DN substr index because I believe slapd works better
without it.  Your mileage may vary.

Kurt