Re: Deleting certain attribute in all entries

==========> On 2000-05-14, Marian Steinbach (Marian) wrote:

    Marian> I would like to know the easiest way to erase one
    Marian> atribute, disregarding it´s value, from all directory
    Marian> entries that have this attribute.

    Marian> While we´re at it, how can one modify all values of one distinct
    Marian> attribute in all entries?

First of all you have to decide if you want to modify the database
online or offline.

If you have lots of entries the easiest and fastest way is to make the
modifications offline. Just use ldbmcat, make the modifications and
recreate your database using ldif2ldbm.

The other way -- modifying the entire database online via LDAP -- is
more tricky and significantly slower. We do this kind of update using
PerLDAP. We walk "top down" through the entire LDAP tree using
"onelevel" scoped searches to go from one level to the next. This
method heavily depends on your tree design -- you have to make sure
that every level of every subtree does not have more entries than the
"sizelimit" of your server.

--
Jens Klöcker <kloecker@springer.de> | There is one art, no more, no less:
Electronic Technologies             | to do all things with art-lessness